1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

feeding question here HELP please

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by wilsonfarm416, Jun 26, 2011.

1. wilsonfarm416

wilsonfarm416 Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    Brighton
    I have 5 chickens that are about 10 weeks old. We are going to put sand in the run so here are my questions:)

So I am new to this and I have a couple feeding questions #1-should I have a feeder inside and one outside the coop? #2- what is the difference between feed and scratch? #3- if they have sand in the run do I still need to offer grit?

2. tojo555

tojo555 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2011
    greensboro nc
    I am new at raising chicks and the person I got them from said to put (1) teaspoon of clorox per (1) gal. of water for them. Is this ok and what does it do?
    Thanks
    Going back to the good ole days.

3. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    Quote:1. Might depend somewhat on the size/construction of the coop and run. I have two feeders inside so they don't get rained on but my coop is completely open on the front.

2. Scratch is feed that is (usually) whole or cracked grains, around here mostly cracked corn and whole wheat. Probably what you are calling "feed" is a more processed product that has any number of different ingredients all ground up and made into crumbles or pellets. It is more of a complete feed whereas the scratch is not.

3. Conventional wisdom is that sand is not coarse enough to function well as grit. If they are fed processed feed they don't need grit.

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:
    #1-should I have a feeder inside and one outside the coop?

I prefer inside where it is protected from the weather.
    #2- what is the difference between feed and scratch?

Scratch is a mixture of grains that is usually less protein and not as complete as the regular feed.
    #3- if they have sand in the run do I still need to offer grit?

If you are going to use sand in your run I would recommend using Builder's or Purpose Sand is is far better than "Play Sand" also Builder's and Purpose Sand will work as a grit they are larger and coarser than "Play Sand".

Chris​

5. wilsonfarm416

May 15, 2011
    Brighton
    Do any of you mix the grit in with the feed or do you offer it separate? Any preferences?

6. wilsonfarm416

May 15, 2011
    Brighton
    I have not heard of this but I am curious of what more experienced keepers would say
    Quote:

7. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    I don't put anything in the water, but I have a closed 5 gallon bucket with nipples on the bottom so nothing gets in the bucket except fresh water. We clean the bucket bout 3-4 times per year. When I had open pans of water I would just hose them out before re-filling to keep them clean.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by