1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

feeding question on Beet Leaves

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by farmerb, Jun 26, 2009.

1. farmerb

farmerb New Egg

May 16, 2009
    Hi everyone I have a question. I have a bunch of beet leaves I was wondering if they would be good for me to give to my chickens?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  2. Fuzzbuttfarm

Fuzzbuttfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2009
    Pittsburg
    I had a bunch of organic beets from the market and split the greens between me and the chickens. I just chopped their portion and they ate it with gusto with their other veggie treats over a couple days. They're doing fine.

3. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    An almost universao rule is-If you can eat it they can eas it. The only exception I know of is very salty things can be harmful to chickens.

4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Feeding beets...means red poops. Don't think it's coccidiosis!

5. mfsakc

mfsakc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    El Dorado County, CA
    My girls love the beet tops, also the radish greens.

6. sheeshshe

sheeshshe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    One of my Bo's likes to get in my garden and pluck and toss the beet greens!!! does NOT attempt to eat them at all... just pluck and toss pluck and toss... he's not allowed in the garden anymore LOL!

My chicks are weird they wont eat radish leaves either! yet my neighbors eat them with gusto...

7. JLMom

JLMom Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    Massachusetts
    OMG! Please don't feed them all to your chickens! Saute them in olive oil with a little very thinly sliced onion and some freshly squeezzed lemon juice. My mom and I tried to grow beets one year, but we kept cutting the greens off and eating them

(Only the baby greens are this delicious. If you have the big, full sized leaves, not as good)

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:I agree, if they are fresh, I'm not sharing! Best greens there are!

I like the older ones as well, just cook them longer.

9. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Kale, chard, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower leaves, the chickens get some of them. Beet greens? I have 8 pints canned, along with 13 pints of beets. That does not count what we ate before "harvest". And ddawn is right. Just cook the older leaves a little longer.

JLMom, you might try boiling the greens first, brown a little onion and garlic in olive oil, then saute the beet greens. Salt and pepper to taste. Paprika and/or a pinch of red pepper adds an interesting taste.

10. JLMom

JLMom Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Thanks Ridgerunner, I'll try it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by