feeding question

lost

Songster
11 Years
May 10, 2008
,nc
I only have 12 all together. The feed i have is like 17% layer .Well my dad is a bread man so i get bread thats not old but they can't use it.So i freeze it so it want go bad.I asked this one time and some nice lady said it would be ok for a snack.I try to keep there food bowl full.I reakon what i'm asking is it ok to give to them everyday. I been giving 6 footlong hotdog buns a day, are 6 big cheese burger bun well you get the picture.Is this ok every morning when they know i bring the bread they go crazy.I know my uncle thats all he pretty much feeds his.More bread than feed.I try to give them a chose is that fine.They eat the feed too.Thank you for your help

I know lots of ppl feed their chickens bread but I do not... the salt content is a concern, sometimes mold is an issue and I know Christina33 had problems with her birds for months and it turned out to be a yeast problem caused by the day old bread she was giving...

If you're giving them significant amounts of bread every day, it is going to fill them up with empty calories (hotdog buns etc have next to no nutritional value) and thus you may end up with hens that are not as healthy or as productive as they should be due to mild deficiencies of protein, minerals or vitamins. You can keep chickens *alive* that way but is it really *good* for them? Not so much.

At the very least, if you really really want to feed them lots of white bread, you might consider upping them to a higher protein feed, offering greens (and I don't mean iceberg lettuce or lawn clippings) every day as well, and making REAL SURE that their oystershell or eggshell bin is kept topped up.

Good luck,

Pat

Thank you. I didn't want to hurt them .They are producing fine.They eat the food i got them,and i was going to buy them the oryster shhel feed also next time i went to the store.I was just afraid they was eating to much.I guesse i was trying to spoil them. Like i do every thing else.I want give them as much. Iwant them to be healthy. Thank yall. I dont give them moldy bread We still use it to its just i get alot.Also if i don't know if this will make a differance but the reason why i get it they don't but all them artifical stuff in it. Like the store bread you buy. This is more healther.So i get bread thats only like a day old and then freeze.I dont know if that matters.Should have told you that ealier sorry. God bless you

Back
Top Bottom