Feeding question.

Bonsai

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 3, 2011
My three pullets are around 14-15 weeks old and I just ran out of chick starter feed. I have a bag of layer feed in the garage from my previous flock. My question is: Is it too early to switch them over? I don't want to go buy another bag if I can feed them the layer. Thanks.

I've started as early as 16-17 weeks on layer feed with no bad effects. However, you might consider buying a bag of Flock Raiser. That's fine for your older birds too (plus it's higher protein than layer feed, so good for molting birds), and in a few weeks you can simply mix the Flock Raiser in with your layer feed so it all gets used.

That might be a little old, might be OK. Make sure it doesn't have an off smell or moldy clumps. The bag should have the date it was packaged on the bag. It's usually printed on the seal strip on the top or bottom.
I bought 4 bags of feed at TSC last week that was packaged in July. 3 of them had gone moldy. Mold will give chickens botulism and kill them.
I had feed in an airtight container in a dry building about 3 months over the summer, the sugars in it fermented. It smells just like whiskey.

Even if it's good I would still get some grower. You can feed grower to hens but shouldn't feed layer to growing birds.

Last edited:
ive raised many many biddies on nothing but laying crumbles. they did just fine. its not my common method to do this but many times a hen will come outa the woods with a clutch of biddies and they eat layer crumbles and corn with no problems.

Back
Top Bottom