Feeding Rabbits

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by NewHopePoultry, Jul 17, 2007.

1. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Something came up and my friend had to leave town and left me in charge of his rabbits, I've had rabbits before, but he ran out of feed and left no money to buy any more and I dont have the extra cash to buy some, so I was wondering if I could feed them All purpose Poultry crumbles for a week or so.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2007
  2. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    it would probalby be better if you could feed it scrach grains
    veggises and if you have horses you can feed them sweet feed but they can go long without there food because there food has a certain type a vitemain in it.[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2007
  3. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

We raise rabbits and they eat grass and whatever I throw out the back door at them. They LOVE fruit, vegetables, bread, anything. They are better than goats. You can usually buy rabbit food by the pound for like .60 at a feed store though.

4. NewHopePoultry

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    I only have cracked corn and the crumbles, and no money. I'm trying to scrape up some money, but I'm not having much luck.

5. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    if u do manage to git some rabbit feed and i know its exppenzine and mix it with the craced corn and it will last longer

6. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    Just feed hay if it is available and maybe a few oats. Avoid corn and poultry feed as it can cause blockages. Giving too many greens/grass to a rabbit that is not used to it can cause a lot of problems. Its worth it to borrow a few bucks from someone to get a small bag of rabbit feed. Cheap, basic rabbit feed is really cheap and you can probably find a small bag at walmart for under 3 bucks. Rabbits have sensitive digestive systems and feeding the wrong foods, even in the short run, can lead to serious problems or death.

7. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

I ran out the other day......fed mine grass,hay,and some corn........might do for a day or two.I sure know how it is not to have the money.................I prayed and fed them and they were no worse for the wear ! Good luck........

8. NewHopePoultry

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Thanks everyone. I'm hoping I can come up the money soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by