Feeding Raw Meat?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by newchickens2009, May 14, 2010.

1. newchickens2009

newchickens2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    I hunt wild boar and was cleaning one the other day and to my suprise as fast as I could cut away the parts that I didn't want the chickens were eating it up. Especially the fatty parts. Is this ok for them to eat raw meat or should I keep them away from it?

2. sjh

sjh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Yes it is ok. Do a search. This subject has been beat to death.

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Raw meat is fine for them..

Chris

4. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    I wouldn't leave bowls of raw meat out for them or give them anything that has sat out but as long as they're eating it as you cut it off the carcass or shortly thereafter (or if you keep it refrigerated and take it out to them and they eat it up right away) there's no problem. Chickens will catch and eat their own raw meat given the chance. They love mice, frogs, chipmunks, etc. As long as it's fresh, not rancid they'll be just fine. You could even freeze the parts you don't use from later kills and thaw it out occasionally as a treat/dietary supplement.

5. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Seems there was a thread recently talking about a disease or some type of parasite found in wild hogs. The who, what, where, and all eludes me. Seems cooking the meat made it ok but even during butchering precautions were recommended against coming in contact with the meat. I'm not sure if it would pass on to the chickens. I probably dreamed it, though... [​IMG]

Ed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by