Feeding Red Broiler?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ColbyNTX, Dec 8, 2010.

1. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    I ordered some red broilers from Idea that will be here this week. I have raised hundreds and hundreds of DP chicks, turkeys, ducks, pheasants, quail, guineas ect but never meaties. I have been reading and see that 24% is good feed for meat birds. The only problem is that I don't have a good source for 24% feed in my area. At the house I have feeds that are 30% 20% and 16 %. Couls I mix the 30% game bird starter with the 20% start and grow for a good ration? Would the 20% chick starter be OK? I don't need them ready in 8 weeks and plan to keep a few for breeding.

2. RoosterGeek

RoosterGeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2010
    Lebanon, TN
    The feed I have for my Freedom Rangers is 21%. They grew out just fine. Everything I have read says go with 21 and 22%.

Don't quote me on that.

3. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    more than likely they won't be ready in 8 weeks anyway..

but i think you will be just fine w/ the 20%

4. CDennis

CDennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    I feed mine flock raiser and scratch when old enough (they are red broilers from Ideal). Not a chance they will be ready in 8 weeks but they are healthy solid little birds and if mother nature had not decided to dump a foot of snow on the ground would free range well. I am expecting a 12 week grow out on these guys.

5. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Thanks for the response. Yes, I was saying that I didn't expect them to be ready in 8 weeks. I was thinking 11-12 weeks.

6. CDennis

CDennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    I think they will be PERFECT in 12 weeks, nice little birds. I'll order again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by