Feeding Red Swiss Chard = bright tealish green colored poops?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by daniellea2912, Feb 5, 2014.

1. daniellea2912

daniellea2912 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2013
    Ohio
    Sooo, yesterday I gave my chickens a few large leaves of swiss chard. Most of them nibbled on a few bites then went along their way. When i came back to check on them later the leaves were totally gone with just a little of the stem left. Today i noticed a chicken poo that was very brightly colored greenish teal- normal consistency, normal urates (which were white like they should be) but shockingly greenish. I happened to just be gathering todays eggs when my barred rock laid hers. As I grabbed the egg I noticed it looked a little teal/green too-like someone had used a paintbrush to brush watercolor paint on part of it.... Do you all think she ate a lot of the chard and its just the tint from the chard making its way thru? The color washed right off the egg and she seems to be acting her normal self- noisy and energetic...

Today I gave them some red cabbage-so should i brace for purple/red tomorrow? [​IMG]

2. chickengirl1193

chickengirl1193 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2013
    north Jersey
    This happens to my chickens when I feed red cabbage! They have normal but bright teal poops. my eggs dont have a teal tint tho!

3. daniellea2912

daniellea2912 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2013
    Ohio
    Phew, thanks for the quick reply! I was worried at first! Guess I'll be prepared for tomorrow since they got red cabbage today :)

4. chickengirl1193

chickengirl1193 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2013
    north Jersey
    Yes be prepared! Its pretty alarming lol

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    When I feed mine red cabbage, the poops turn out kind of hot pink. And it smells real skunky, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by