1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeding Roos

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mylilchix, Aug 5, 2008.

1. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

I know what feed I'll be switching my hens to when it comes to laying time, but what should I feed our roos?

Thanks,
    Sonja

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I feed the roos same as the hens. Laying pellets. I don't know a way other than separating them from the hens to keep them from eating each other's feed.

3. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Me too - they all get the same.

4. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm confused (which is normal)
    Why would you keep your roos with your hens if you didn't want them to breed....

and

if you want them to breed, which is why they are together, than why aren't you feeding them breeder feed?

5. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    The roos can just eat the layer ration. I throw my roos out and leave just one or two in with the hens. I don't feed the extra roosters. they just forage and glean what they can from the pig/goat feed areas.

6. Chicken_Lover4567

Chicken_Lover4567 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Central Texas
    I keep my roos and hens together, I just never really hatch their eggs. I think I'll breed them eventually, but they're together and I'm not breeding them.....[​IMG]

7. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

At this point my chicks are only 7-9 weeks old, so we're keeping them all together. I do plan on seperating them eventually. We won't be breeding them. I'm just wondering if I can buy them the same feed or if the boys should have something special?

Sonja

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by