feeding rooster....

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mschazz, Mar 3, 2011.

1. mschazz

mschazz Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2010
    do you need to put out any different feed for the rooster? is it ok for him to eat the same as the girls?

2. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    what are you feeding the girls???

3. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    I also was concerned about the roo's main feed being layer pellets. So, when I took scraps and treats out to the flock I would try and hand him an extra morsel of protien. It didn't work. Everytime he would drop it and feed it to the hens. So now I don't worry about it. He looks healthy.

4. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    If you are really concerned switch to flock raiser feed and put out oyster shell for the hens to get their calcium. This is what I do and it has worked well for me. The reason I did this is at the time I had both a roo and a tom turkey. Tom ended up getting so big he could no longer walk and had to be "helped" to the freezer.

5. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    It shouldn't hurt the roosters to eat the same food as the hens.

6. mschazz

mschazz Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2010
    [​IMG] thanks,,,the girls are getting scratch, layer pellets, boss, greens through the winter,,alfalfa because they are in the hay shed most of the time, oyster shell and gravel, appropriate table scraps,,the boy got his wattles and comb a little frostbitten and he kinda looks a little "rough around the edges" and a little scrawny for a rooster,,he's a leghorn, but he acts ok and doesn't appear ill but i was just wondering. he's almost a year old. thank you for all your answers and advice.

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

[​IMG]

Technically since the layer feed has extra calcium added, roosters should not be eating it. But most folks just make the roo eat them anyways, I THINK.

I never have considered feeding the roosters other food separately. But now, I mostly feed a mixture of seeds and grains, with layer pellets as a treat. So my roosters are getting a good deal.

If you offer moetrout's suggestion of flock raiser or something similar, the added benefit is that this is higher in protein, I believe, which many feel enhances their flock's health. I haven't tried it.

Oyster shell offered on the side would enable the layers to find additional calcium.

8. tigtoy

tigtoy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2011
    Maple Ontario
    i think it is the same you feed the hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by