Feeding Roosters...

Kennas Mom10

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 30, 2012
South Carolina
I have 2 hens and 2 roosters. I'm getting ready to change the girls over to layer food in the next couple weeks. Is it okay for the roos to eat the layer food also? I have no way to separate them right now, plus they won't be around much longer (they were intended for the freezer). Thanks for the help!

Layer feed has too much calcium for a rooster. Some people choose to go ahead and feed their entire flock layer for the ease. I personally would feed a grower and leave calcium (like oyster shell) always available on the side. There is no need to feed layer. It is just regular chicken feed with more calcium and generally less protein. I personally never use it as I prefer my birds to regulate their own calcium intake.

Last edited:
The effects of too much calcium are long term and not readily visible day to day but over a lifetime calcium builds up and can lead to kidney failure and can interfere with the absorption of vitamin D and phosphorus. I guess it depends on your goals. If you are not going to have the roosters long term it won't matter as much.

The most important thing is to never feed young birds more calcium than the need, the negative effects are much worse at an early age.

my 22 australorp hens and roos are 11 weeks... was wondering about switching to layer at 13 weeks, but i definitely am not now, you've educated me, thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom