1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeding Roosters

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Wol1, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Wol1

Wol1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2014
    SW Ohio
    Has anybody found any studies about what to feed males that are not broilers? I have found ONE reference and that was only for energy requirements of male broiler-type breeders. Obviously low calcium, but I've seen protein requirements from 12% to 20%. I'm currently feeding grower/finisher with 16% protein to them as a compromise since they are only 19 weeks and still growing [​IMG]

But it bothers me to be merely guessing.

2. 16% finisher is good for them. I wouldn't fret over that. Flock Raiser is also good. With flock raiser, hens need supplemental calcium.

There are many flocks with roosters that are fed layer pellets and they seem to manage a healthy flock as well.

These are not studies from anyone other than myself.

Wish ya the best.

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    There isn't really studies done on roosters other than broilers mostly because big egg farms don't keep roosters.
    The main thing you have to watch is the calcium amount in the feed, high amounts of calcium is hard on any non-laying fowl this include chicks, growing stock, roosters, and hens that are not laying do to environment, molt, illness etc.

Was there something that you was looking for?

4. bustedchicks

bustedchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2014
    Haven't raised chickens for very long but noticed that my rooster eats when he needs it but eats less at a time.
    From my understanding the rooster searches for food, eats a bit, crows to tell the hens where the food is, stands guard then off finding more food. From that I believe a higher protein is needed to keep up an active lifestyle.

5. Wol1

Feb 28, 2014
    SW Ohio
    Thanks everyone for the info. [​IMG]

6. ChickenLeg

ChickenLeg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    I just give my free range roosters a constant supply of oats as a treat beside their waterer, they've always done fine finding their own food. I use to keep flock raiser with them, but they seem to perfer the grass and insects over the feed any day.

On another note, my breeders who are housed with the hens do fine eating the layer pellets :)

7. Wol1

Feb 28, 2014
    SW Ohio
    Thanks! I'm feeling better and better. Low calcium and moderate protein supplemented by foraging.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by