Feeding Schedule for Chicks

Blue_Myst

Songster
10 Years
Feb 5, 2009
For the very first time, I am raising some chicks, and I've done a lot of reading (boy, the BYC learning center was helpful!), but I want to make sure I have this down....
Treats can be fed to chicks at around one week old (yogurt, eggs, no greens, right?)
If fed treats at that age, I know I should feed them grit. Will pet bird grit (like parakeet grit) be ok? Should this be free choice or limited?
I need to feed the chicks chick crumbles/starter until they reach about two months of age (the 'Raising chicks 101' article made it sound like I'm supposed to give them layer feed after two months, right? Or first egg? If the latter is true, does that mean even if they haven't started laying at eight months then I should still be feeding them chick starter?)

Thanks in advance!

Quote:
I have always sprinkled it on their food.

Quote:
Don't switch to layer pellets/crumbles until point of lay.

Hope this helps! Sounds like you have done research! Great job!

You don't have to give them grit if they get to scratch around outside. (They will eat it on their own.) If you are going to give them grit, I would give it free choice. They will control how much they can eat.

In respect to the layer feed: I would just follow the schedule for feeding that comes with any feed brand. I wouldn't switch to layer feed until you get your first egg. In my experience, you don't need to gradually switch over to layer feed. I didn't, and everything went well.

I know what it's like to be swamped with questions as a first time chicken owner. That's the beauty of BYC! There are many people who are happy to give you answers! Good luck and HAVE FUN!!!
wink.png

wings

I've read a few threads lately where there seems to be some confusion about when to switch feed.
I think when they talk about switching in the 6 to 8 week range they are talking about switching from starter to grower. Depending on where you live seperate grower may not be available. It's not here.
I fed starter/grower until I got my first egg at 19 weeks. That was following the rule of thumb I knew that said 18 to 20 weeks or until you get your first egg.

I feed mine (4 weeks old) Purina Starter/Grower, so I will feed that until I get my first egg.

About the grit for chicks...I feed mine Parakeet grit right now, and I only give them a limited amount (I'm just guessing at the amount) because they seem to see it as a treat and I think they would stuff themselves on it.
hmm.png
Maybe I'm just nervous, but geeez, they really pig out on the stuff!

Oh, wow, a lot of responses! Thanks, everyone!
big_smile.png
Seems just when I think I've figured this whole chick-raising out, another question pops up
roll.png

I know what it's like to be swamped with questions as a first time chicken owner. That's the beauty of BYC! There are many people who are happy to give you answers! Good luck and HAVE FUN!!

I'm not a first time chicken owner, just the first time I've had the opportunity to raise some from chicks!
woot.gif
But, oh boy, I've found more info on this forum than any other single source!​

All my chickens I bought at around six months to three months of age, so, I'm very new to raising chickens under that age
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom