Feeding schedule for pet Mallards

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by rAZinBaBEEZ, Jan 13, 2014.

1. rAZinBaBEEZ

rAZinBaBEEZ New Egg

Nov 4, 2009
    York PA
    Hello Everyone.
    I seem to have a situation here and need some advice from my fellow Mallard Duck owners.I have had my mallards for about 5 years now and all three seem to be doing great. My issue is that the feed that i have put out for them each day has attracted some not so pleasant rodents/moles or some sort of small critter that has reeked havoc in my pond. This "rodent" has dug holes along side of my pond, under the rocks and through the mulch to get to the area where the ducks pellets/grain is at. I have over a 2000 gallon man made pond and the water looks like chocolate milk. If i don't do something soon, I can see this rodent putting holes in my liner.

My question is this: how much and how many times do you feed your mallards? I was thinking about taking all their feed out of the area because right now their feeder bowl is constantly filled and maybe bringing food to the ducks maybe 2x a day??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks
    Joann

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Feeding twice a day as much as they will consume in 15 minutes should be fine.

3. Speceider

Speceider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Without going and doing all the math, a mallard should need about 1.1 kg per week of a 3000 LCal ME per kg diet more nutrient dense.. ..less feed.

Clint

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by