feeding scrap fish to chickens

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by mch0638, Jun 29, 2010.

1. mch0638

mch0638 New Egg

Jun 29, 2010
    Two Rivers
    I raise cornish cross to butcher, and have plenty of salmon scraps that we hope to feed the chickens to supplement a lower protein feed. Planning on feeding hog feed, which has the all the same ingredients and portions thereof as the 20% meat bird feed, except the hog feed only has 15% protein. and the hog feed is 11 bucks a bag cheaper than the meat bird feed. Overall, the biggest concern is tainting the meat. has anyone had any experience with feeding raw or cooked fish to chickens? i know fish meal is highly recommended.

Thanks from the chickens in Alaska.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Yes Fish is OK to feed to chickens, many people do. There is some concern about the bones, and that it might effect the taste of the eggs. But I have not read anything conclusive.

Imp

3. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    It has been proven that anything over 5% fish meal in the feed will result in a fishy taste to the chicken meat as well as to the eggs. Otherwise great use of fish waste . Also split the extra with some hogs, or dogs and cats.

4. Jeremy Parker

Jeremy Parker Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2010
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Your feed is expensive, I only pay 8.00/bag for the chicken feed (25kg) I guess I won't complain at the price [​IMG]

Blessings,
    Jeremy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by