Feeding scraps/Seeking answer to settle a friendly bet

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by anythingbutsandy, Oct 23, 2010.

1. anythingbutsandy

anythingbutsandy Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2010
    Kyle, Texas
    My husband and I have a friendly bet going on and I know my BYC friends can help.

I've been a member here since my "ladies/red stars" arrived in May and I've read up on everything I can since I'm still an "out of the brooder". I say it's okay to feed chickens leftover meat/chicken scraps, etc. My hubby says it's a definite no-no.

Any answers?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  3. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    My mom cooked up some old chicken breats and threw them out to the girls - they scarfed 'em up. I won't feed them raw, but a chicken eating chicken is nothing out of the ordinary as they are omnivores. I'm sure red jungle fowl in their native land would eat a fallen flock mate without a problem.

1 person likes this.
  4. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Chickens are omnivores, which means they will eat anything that doesn't eat them first. Meat protein is very good for them.

5. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    Mine love meat= any kind of meat! Leftover chicken, ribs, pork chops, meatballs, whatever. If there is meat in the treat bowl, it's the first thing they go for. They will even eat the small bones of chicken carcasses. It's all a good source of protein.

6. TreeHugger

TreeHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    Chickens are omnivores - everything is on the menu!

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Leftovers that are a day or two old almost always go to the chickens, and frequently include some sort of meat. They pick out the meat first.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2010
  8. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Mine especially love rib bones with whatever meat is left on them, then the bones disappear too. We always give ours any meat scraps we have left whenever we have meat. My DW is especially picky about not eating fat. If I trim before cooking they get them raw too.

ETA: Hope you collected on your bet.[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  9. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    Just gave ours some bbq beef. They love it.

10. bunnibird55

bunnibird55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I give my chickens all my leftovers. They just got the homemade beef/vegetable soup that we had eaten for two meals. There was still quite a bit of beef and they went crazy over it. My parrots and my chickens all love cooked chicken - seems strange I know, but the protein is good for them all!!!! Tell your hubby he loses this round!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by