1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeding Scratch and pellets

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bizzeeb60, Apr 12, 2009.

1. bizzeeb60

bizzeeb60 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2008
    Frostproof, FL
    Hey there everyone. I am so glad I visit this place so often I have learned Soo much!

First of all I decided to change from laying mash to pellets thinking maybe the hens were not actually eating enough....surprise I seem to be using much less and they seem to be atually eating much more (not so much wasted now)

Second, I decided to stop giving them the scratch grains, thinking maybe that was interferring with their egg laying!
    Well to my surprise as I was browsing the forum, I learned thjat scratch should not be fed to the hens in warm/hot weather ( of course we get alot of this in FL) as it heats up their bodies, thus limiting the egg production.....since I stopped with the scratch about a month ago, egg production has definately improved.

Thanks so much fellow BYC members, you are always so helpful.

[​IMG] HAPPY EASTER to all.. [​IMG]

2. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    That is great news! As much as we want to give them treats like scratch, a good balanced laying feed is best for them and their egg production. Although watching them go absoultely crazy over a small handful of scratch is still awesome. A little in moderation won't hurt them.

3. bizzeeb60

bizzeeb60 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2008
    Frostproof, FL
    Well I used to mix some scratch in with a treat of raisins, dried cranberries and apples, now I just mix in a little of the laying pellets. They still seem to like the extra treats.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by