Feeding scratch in hot weather

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Karen 2739, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Karen 2739

Karen 2739 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2010
    San Diego
    I've read to not feed scratch during hot weather but, I could not see why. Is it too tough to digest?

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    There's an old wives tale that scratch (corn in particular) is a "hot feed" meaning that it will make your birds hot.

It's not true. It's a misunderstanding of the carbohydrate content of the feed (high) and the belief that it will raise their body temperature. It doesn't.

But unless you're feeding a ration that has a goodly protein content or they have access to good free range you still wouldn't want to feed a lot of scratch so as to not dilute their protein intake which in turn can lower their egg production.

3. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    A.T. Hagan :

There's an old wives tale that scratch (corn in particular) is a "hot feed" meaning that it will make your birds hot.

It's not true. It's a misunderstanding of the carbohydrate content of the feed (high) and the belief that it will raise their body temperature. It doesn't.

But unless you're feeding a ration that has a goodly protein content or they have access to good free range you still wouldn't want to feed a lot of scratch so as to not dilute their protein intake which in turn can lower their egg production.

x2!​

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:x2!

x3

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by