Feeding Seaweed

Allleycatz

Hatching
7 Years
Feb 25, 2012
I am picking up my first ever 7 chicks the end of March.
I would like to feed them the Organic Greener Pastures Chick starter recipe #3 which includes seaweed.
What it doesn't specify is seaweed in what form?!
All other ingredients I can get from the local health food store.
Seaweed in all forms there seems to be mega expensive for a tiny quantity...
Thanks for any/all help!

• 4 lbs. organic corn meal
  • 4 lbs. hard red wheat
  • 4 lbs. soft white wheat
  • 2 lbs. barley
  • 2 lbs. oat groats (aka whole oats)
  • 2 lbs. shelled sunflower seeds
  • 1 lb. lentils (I used French lentils because they’re smaller)
  • 1 lb. split green peas
  • 2 lbs. millet
  • 1/2 lb. flax seeds
  • 1 lb. seaweed
  • garlic (several cloves per gallon of water)
  • raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar, aka ACV (about 2 Tablespoons per gallon of water)
  • Daily calcium source = organic milk or yogurt
  • Daily protein source = freshly dug worms, organic scrambled eggs or dried mealworms

You should be able to buy seaweed meal from produce/grain stores. It's often there as a cattle supplement.

Just beware, seaweed meal can be incredibly high in iodine. That's not bad in itself, it just means you have to be sparing.

cheers
Erica

i use a kelp meal as an amendment in my garden for micronutrients. i was thinking of using this in feed also. It comes in a 50# bag and cost about 65$ i think. I get it at the local farm supply store.

Scott

I feed kelp meal from the feed store (see my BYC page if interested). I wouldn't exceed 1-2 percent of the total feed in kelp meal, though. This gives them a little salt, too (they need salt in a ration not to exceed around 1% of the feed from what I have read...you might search this as I am not sure about it.
http://www.groworganic.com/algit-norwegian-kelp-meal-55-lb.html
here is one source echoing the 1-2% that I have seen elsewhere on the web too

One very important thing is greens to prevent vitamin deficiencies. Chopped grass is sufficient...keep it short at 1-2 inches long for chicks and adults (if longer may cause impacted crop).

Make sure you offer grit so they can digest the whole grains. Use yellow corn if possible for the vit A.

If they don't receive enough salt it can lead to cannibalism.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom