1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

feeding show birds

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by texasrangers1, Aug 1, 2014.

1. texasrangers1

texasrangers1 In the Brooder

Aug 1, 2014
    I have a austrolorp that is 16 weeks or so old. i was just wondering if i can feed her laying pellets with the gamebird feed.
    I am feeding her a game bird mix and Feather Fixer to help with re-growth of feathers and helps with mites.
    i just don't want to mix something else in there and it effects her in the shows.

2. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

You could do so, the game bird has a higher protein level than the layer will. The Feather Fixer is higher in protein than layer as well, by about 2% if I remember correctly. The Feather Fixer, I believe states that it can be used full time if you should wish to do so.

At my place lay feed is 16%, Feather Fixer is 18% and game bird is 24% protein. I am unsure about your showing requirements, I do not know what you wish your feed to do exactly. Your hen might not lay for another two to four weeks yet.

RJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: