1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

feeding silkies

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Ma Noob, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Ma Noob

Ma Noob Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2010
    South Australia
    stupid question i know, but, Do silkies eat the same as normal chickens? Progress through the feeds, crumbles, grower, layer etc as regular chooks? Im looking to get some and just want to be sure first, just incase i have to find special food

2. mommahen64

mommahen64 Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2011
    Attleboro
    I have two silkies and they eat the same as everyone else....that may be bad - never thought they would be different - but they seem healthy and happy.

3. kerroppi76

kerroppi76 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2011
    Langhorne, PA
    I have 3 silkies and 5 full size girls. The silkies are a week younger than the bigger girls but eat the same food. I even started this eek giving htem blue berries, carrots and zucchini and they all eat them. The breeeder I got the silkies from said they should be fine with the same food as the others.

4. Ma Noob

Ma Noob Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2010
    South Australia
    Cheers all! Hopefully will have them in the next couple of weeks, They will be inside for a bit but i have a nice secure place outside for them, just need to make a nesting box

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by