Feeding Silky Hens-What % protein feed should they get?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by fluffychicksmomma, Jul 20, 2011.

1. fluffychicksmomma

fluffychicksmomma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2010
    Its time for another 50 lb bag of feed which lasts our chickens for a while. I asked someone this question before, but my chicks were still kind of young, and I just remember that I was advised to give them the chick starter feed for a while longer because it had higher protein. I have since put them on "premium layyer crumbles", which seems fine, although to me the hens still appear a little "skinnier" looking than I would like, but maybe its just because they are Silkies and not meat birds, I don't know. I should mention that in addition to free-choice feed, they also free range in the yard all day, and I usually throw out a handful of cracked corn as a treat, which I understand has a very low percentage of protein. Anyway I went to the feed store and ended up leaving without any feed because there were so many different choices and they didn't have the kind I had bought last time. I just thought, well I'll go back home and look at the bag of feed I last bought and see what percent protein it has. And as luck would have it, its not on the bag itself but on a tag which has long since come off and been thrown away. : ( Soooo, could someone tell me what they think the appropriate percentage of protein should the feed for my Silkies contain? It appears that I have 16%, 18% and something higher like 21 0r 22% (that says on the bag its for meat birds), to choose from. Thanks much for your help/suggestions! : )

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    I have been feeding mine 16 to 18% layer meal they seem to be doing fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by