feeding snails and slugs?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by the-bird-man, Jun 16, 2011.

1. the-bird-man

the-bird-man Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    land of the sun
    is it okay to feed chickens snails and slugs? i think i read it was not good for them but i am not sure. we have tons of snails here and if its okay i would like to feed the girls some. i would break them open for them

2. farmergirl96

farmergirl96 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    San Jose
    Chickens can eat whatever wild thing they choose to eat, and it shouldn't hurt them. My chickens eat frogs and lizards, and I feed them snails and slugs all the time.
    -Hydrangea

3. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    If they will eat them they can have them. Mine won't touch them, but my ducks gobble them up.

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    My ducks love snails. [​IMG]

5. the-bird-man

the-bird-man Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    land of the sun
    okay good! i did feed a slug to one of them and she loved it. it seemed like i read something saying it is bad but i was not sure. this is going to be a good free food source then [​IMG]

6. kaankboom

kaankboom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2012
    It might be dangourous because the slug might of had poison[​IMG]

7. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

But the same can be said for anything(!) they eat or drink. You can't be paranoid about it. [​IMG]

8. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I let my girls eat them. I pull a board up off the ground and let them.go at it. Then again my girls caught and fought over a mouse.

9. Frannabelle

Frannabelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    MI
    Think 100 years ago, I bet chickens age slugs and snails by the pound.

Funny story about my dog. Long before I had chickens, I used to put shallow containers filled with beer in my garden and yard as a way to control slugs. As you may know, slugs are attracted to beer, crawl into the container and drown in the beer. I look over one day, and there's my Chessie, having her own version of Escargot, slugs in beer sauce. Yum!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by