feeding some of the whole oats

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Maxie Misty Chicks, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Maxie Misty Chicks

Maxie Misty Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    [​IMG]I have tried feeding some of the whole oats that we have for the horses to the laying hens when the weather got cold. (I added it to scratch that I threw out back door) It did seems to cause some sticky looking buts, so I discontinued. I have read that rolled or cracked oats are better digested by chicken than whole oats

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Hmmm...I was just wondering about this today. I saw 50lb bags of whole and rolled oats at the feed store and wasn't sure if they would be able to eat the whole oats or not. Hopefully someone else will chime in with their experiences.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have fed whole and rolled oats. The rolled oats at my feed store, when you open the bag, looks just like whole oats except the hull is kind of hanging off it- like something crushed it. They haven't removed the hull. I mean, the oat itself doesn't look ROLLED like ours does.

I was so disappointed because I thought rolled oats was going to look like the oats WE eat in the grocery store- completely dehulled. So, since it costs a couple of dollars more per 50 lb than the whole oats, I am thinking I will just go back to whole.

The chickens consider it their least favorite food, or wait, maybe there's a tie between oats and flaxseed/pumpkin seeds. There is a "dose" of these three foods that, if I surpass that dose, they will simply bill them on the ground and leave them.

I do include them for variety in the diet, though.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  4. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Yes, the oats seem to be the least favorite, BUT... sprout them!
    We have started sprouting them for 3-4 days and the chickens adore them and gobble them right up! It's supposed to increase the protein levels in the oats. Search for the sprouting posts and give it a try.

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Mine seem to throw a lot of them on the ground, BUT they clean them up eventually, so I figure they eat DO them. They just seem to play with them a lot [​IMG] Sometimes I give a second feeder of oats, sometimes just throw them out for scratch. Make sure they get plenty of grit with whole grains, coz of the hulls.

I started getting them rolled oats instead, which they seem to eat better. I just like to give them some variety, like others said. I have rolled oats, BOSS and 9% sweet feed that I give them some random mixture of every day, about a coffee can full total.

6. mistymeadowchicks

mistymeadowchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2010
    they'reHISchickens :

Yes, the oats seem to be the least favorite, BUT... sprout them!

X2!! I bought a bag of whole oats intending to sprout them, tossed out a handful straight from the bag to see what they thought. NOT impressed! '[​IMG]' (not much better than their response to bean beetles last summer!) Sprouted oats are a different story--ever seen a shark feeding frenzy? '[​IMG]'​

7. princessmama

princessmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    We used to mix our own whole grain food and the oats and split peas seemed to always be "saved" for last [​IMG] But we haven't been able to get some of the supplies we need lately so I've been feeding egg pellets. The other day I threw some whole oats out with the scratch and they gobbled them up in no time...

ETA: we grew oats and barley outside our back door last year from feeding the ducks out there [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  8. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Oats are very healthy grain. I feed oats to mine birds in moderate quantities.

If yours are not used to eat oats, they probably refuse to eat it.

Mine birds are used to eat anything I feed them.

And if they are fussy I make them hungry and then they will eat exactly what I want them to eat.

There is nothing worse than spoiled kids or spoiled fussy birds (animals in general).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by