Feeding Spare Parts To...

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Omniskies, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    I started raising crayfish because I wanted an animal that would happily clean up the spare parts that I didn't want to eat (legs, head, etc). Then I found out that the crayfish I'm raising prefer an algae diet with a little meat on the side - not vice-versa.

I love the crayfish and am keeping them, but it's back to the drawing board. This time with channel catfish. So here's my question for everyone out there who has had meat birds (and knows a little about catfish). Would I be able to supplement the fish's diet with spare parts? I'm mostly thinking about doing this for my quail, but if I can chop up or grind/dry other leftovers I'm fine with doing that, too.

Remember, this is a supplemental food - they will still be getting their regular catfish food most of the time, with spare parts thawed or given boiled/cooked/fresh(?) on butcher days. Regular water changes would be done to keep the water from going bad. I just want to know if channel catfish could grow on a spare-part diet.

Thoughts? This just seems like a great way to get even more out of raising your own birds for meat.

2. Sundown_Farmer

Sundown_Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Non-Chicago, Illinois
    I haven't done any more than look at fish. We compost everything. Composting through a fish might be the way to go. Filter the water through hydroponics and you might really have something.

3. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

NO idea really but the ONLY thing mom ever used when fishing for cats was chicken liver...

Given the number of times those buggers ate the bait and swam away I'm thinking liver at least isn't too bad a thing.

Wonder if you could dehydrate those bits and toss them in at your leisure... anyone tried doing that?
    Be easier than trying to store all of it in your freezer or letting them gorge on butcher days... maybe?

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

dogs love spare parts - we raw feed all the time, so spare butchering leftovers are a right part of their diet.

You mentioned water changes- so you are keeping them in an aquarium? How many fish are you talking about? Or rather, how much butchering do you normally do?

5. ourflockof4

ourflockof4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Northern Ohio
    I'm sure they would eat it as long as they are big enough. It may depend on your setup though, and it may make it harder to keep your water clean when you feed them.

We have a 3/4 ac pond with catfish in it and I have seen them eat whole morning doves several times. It would usually take 15-30 min for them to eat one, but once I shot one from the house and it was gone before I could walk over there.

6. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Quote:Okay I'll bite, why would anyone shoot morning doves? Not critiquing just rather curious. They've always seemed pretty harmless to me... oh, maybe they make good eating?

7. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    They do taste really good.... when I had free time we used to hunt them in the corn fields. Honestly, they are the best when you take the whole breast and wrap it in bacon and then put it on the grill. It would take like 10 to fill you up though.

8. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Quote:Ha! 10 for you but I'm the person that eats 1/2 of a jumbo quail at one sitting so one breast would do for me. [​IMG]

9. shesaredroan

shesaredroan Chillin' With My Peeps

In Texas, dove hunting season is VERY POPULAR with lots of hunters. I do not hunt myself, but have enjoyed eating them at friends' homes.
    As Brunty Farms says, .......the breast wrapped in bacon is very good.

I have lived in town (pop 7,000) and now live in the country, one of my favorite bird songs is the Mourning Dove's call. I'd rather listen to them than eat them, but when offered such a treat I always accept.

Here, it's usually pretty dry during dove season, so many hunters gather around ponds and wait for the birds to come in for water. I have a pond, but don't let anyone hunt my property, so the dove know it's safe to come drink at my place.
    A while back, I 'seeded' my pond with catfish fingerlings, it was fun to throw feed to them and watch 'em come and gobble it up. Then they started disappearing.......I always suspected my neighbor was coming over (while I was gone to work) and throw food to them, then sane them and move them to his pond. : (
    He's in prison now, for something much worse than stealing fish........so my catfish crop is once again growing.

Chickens, crawdads and catfish will eat just about anything,.........not far from my home is Lake Whitney, which is surrounded by limestone cliffs that attract cliff swallows, the catfish gather at the bottom of the cliffs and wait for the babies who fall out of the nests. The fishermen know this, so the cliffs are usually a good place to catch catfish, during swallow nesting season.

Omniskies, if you are raising crawdads to eat, whatever is left after cleaning them could be thrown to either your chickens or catfish. The same can be said for chicken parts being fed to the catfish, with the crawdads cleaning up the small bits the catfish leave. Chickens benefit from fish protein, so after cleaning your catfish those parts can be fed to your chickens.

Seems like a win/win set up.
    Good luck. [​IMG]

10. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Crawdads burrow into the pond bank and will cause bank errosion. Catfish feast on crawdads.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by