Feeding Starter Grower to my whole Flock

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by honfor500, Oct 19, 2011.

1. honfor500

honfor500 Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    Healdsburg, CA
    I was wondering if it is Ok to feed Starter Grower to my whole flock now that my hens have stopped laying for the winter months. I have 9 birds over a year old and 12 under 6 months old. Ive been feeding the older birds Purina Layena and the younger birds Purina Starter Grower. I just dont see a point in buying Layena if my birds arnt laying.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Always could. It isn't as if starter/grower doesn't have calcium, it does. Just not at the high % that layer does.

Once hens are in lay, offer the calcium on the side. Chicks and chickens, other than layers, wouldn't have much interest in it.
    Sometimes a good grower/starter is higher in protein, which is beneficial during moulting or maximizing egg production. 18% I assume?
    I wouldn't feed some 14% stuff, personally.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  3. cmclean

cmclean Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2011
    Pasadena,TX
    speaking of feeding...., How do I know if my young hens are getting enough food? They run around the yard and flower beds most of the day. I wonder if they are really eating enough of "their" food.
    Thanks!

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Chickens have been feeding themselves for thousands of years without supplemental feeding, even domestic chickens. Obviously if the ground is frozen or is covered with snow, it is a different situation, but they don't absolutely have to be fed to do very well.

It also depends on the quality of forage. If all they have to eat is off a manicured lawn where the grass never goes to seed, they don't get a real good balanced diet. But if they have access to different grasses and weeds, grass and weed seeds, and various creepy crawlies they scratch up or catch, they can find themselves a really well balanced healthy diet, plus they are physically in good shape because they get exercise.

I find with mine they don't eat much of the prepared food when good forage is available. I don't know your exact situation, but I would not worry if it is available to them. They'll do OK.

5. cmclean

cmclean Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2011
    Pasadena,TX
    Thanks!!! I find something else to worry about!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by