Feeding store bought eggs to chickens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Angiebubs, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    My babies finally started laying again when I added full spectrum light/timer. I have over 40 eggs in the fridge. However, I still have a dozen store bought eggs as well. Is there any harm in cooking up and feeding the store bought eggs to my chickens?

2. MyHappyChicks

MyHappyChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2012
    No they will think they have a great treat. They will love you for it.

3. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

When I feed my girls cooked eggs I need to step out of the way b/c they go mad: they simply love it.

When my eggs start piling up I take the ones w/ dirt on the shells and cook those up. Mix in a tad of yogurt and *bammo* instantly happy birds.

4. Angiebubs

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    Thanks :) I usually cook up any eggs that have cracks etc..I jsut wasnt sure if the store bought ones were a bad idea. I jsut cooked up several with chopped spinach-always feel bad as there are a couple "hogs" and trying to make sure they all get some is a challenge LOL

5. akcharlie1960

akcharlie1960 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Chugiak, Alaska
    Make sure you nuke the empty shells for about 90 sec. then crunch them up and sprinkle on the eggs. Makes a nice calcium(?) rich garnish.

6. nakstk

nakstk Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    newbie question... why nuke the eggs for 90 sec? Is it just to cook the left over egg and wouldn't 90 sec be in over kill?

7. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Chillin' With My Peeps

You want to make sure the shells are cooked and crushed so you don't teach the chickens to eat their eggs. Cooking them (the shells) changes the flavor and scent enough so they don't associate their own eggs with the treat you are giving them.

Hope this helps

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

On the other hand, there are many folks - like me - who do nothing at all to the shells before they are dried, crunched, and put back into a big dish for "free choice" eating.

9. Angiebubs

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    Thanks for the advice!!!!

Gryeys-Are you from Somerset WI? And what is that adorable chicken in your avatar? I have a banty mix that looks just like it-Petunia has lil face muffs and a lil beard. The breeder said it was a cohcin mix but cochins dont usually have feathered feet and muffs...I would like to figure out what she is so I can obtain more as shes a sweetheart

10. Emily1220

Emily1220 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Florida
    I nuke the shells because it dries them out really well so they crunch down into smaller bits to feed to my girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by