1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeding surplus to broilers?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by TillyFeathers, Jan 15, 2011.

1. TillyFeathers

TillyFeathers New Egg

Mar 30, 2010
    Ok, so we want to raise meat chickens for the family this year. The Cornish x scares me so we’ll go with the freedom rangers or red broilers and pasture them.

My question is; Do you have to keep them solely on processed feed? I figure pasturing them is going to unbalance their carefully formulated ration a bit anyway. What else can you get away with and still have a decent and healthy carcass at the end of eleven weeks?

Let’s say that we get the chicks in July or August. We‘ll have garden surplus, perhaps a few small grains ripening, compost worms, fresh goat milk by the gallon...

Has anyone tried this? Is it worth the effort?

2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    lot's of people do that, spend some time reading here on the meat birds thread and also on the nutrition thread, you are going to find A LOT of info on this topic.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've not got to try it myself but I hear the milk makes the best meat! I would def. feed all you scraps, garden and general kitchen. That's the point of raising your own, right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by