Feeding the birds I'm planning on eating

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by MamaJohnson, Jun 22, 2009.

1. MamaJohnson

MamaJohnson Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    Idaho
    I have 4 (surprise) roosters that I've decided to turn into Sunday dinner mid July when they will be about 16 wks old. They are Leghorns and Polish (and a royal pain in the neck!). I was told I should probably fatten them up a bit before eating them, so I've moved them into separate quarters for a diet that includes broiler feed. Prior to this they've just been on Grower pellets and varied this and that from ranging. Question: in the future I plan on eating whatever roos end up hatching. Should I start them off on any particular "planning on eating you" diet? For standard breed birds that I'll be eating (Rhode Island, Leghorn, EE, BR), do they all make good eating, even though they might not be as "meaty"?

2. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Songster

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    well the older they get the tougher the meat i look at all chicken tastes like chicken unless its a silkie and a game but thats besides the point lol they should be ok

3. New adventure

New adventure Songster

Feb 27, 2009
    Pueblo, Colorado
    That's a good suggestion. We plan on eating our extra roos too, but I hadn't considered extra feed, just waiting longer to butcher. Thanks

4. millerwb

millerwb In the Brooder

May 9, 2009
    Bryan, TX
    Quote:I started my on 30% Turkey Starter for about 4-6 weeks. I have moved them to Broiler Finisher (20%) now. They look good and chunkey at this point. They are mixed heavies. I plan on preparing a few tomorrow and will let you know how much meat there really is at this point.

5. roger95

roger95 In the Brooder

Jun 25, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Same boat here. 4 out of 11 ended up roos. Been researching the process and think I'm gonna try it. I never thought of seperating them and feeding them diffrent. Thats what I'll do tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: