feeding the chickens cracked corn

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by blueseal, Dec 20, 2009.

1. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    if i give them cracked corn 2 times a week is it to much. will it make them stop laying i give it as a treat they love it.

2. dappertophatter

dappertophatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    The Jersey Shore
    Well, what breed and how many chickens do you have?

I have nine assorted banties and give them a handful twice a week. (But I have small hands.)

3. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    Quote:20 standard egg laying chickens. delaware, buff orp, red sex links. glw, i fill a 4ft trough feeder full and they defoure it quickly. i give it to them on cold snowy days like today.

4. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Cracked corn is fine to give as a treat. I toss a bit out almost every morning for my girls. They do love it.

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Sure at that amount is fine as a treat no problem. just try and resisit the urge to feed it more often.

AL

6. dappertophatter

dappertophatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    The Jersey Shore
    WOW. That's a lot of chickens!

If they're devouring it quickly, say in a few minutes, it sounds like the amount you're giving them is about right.
    Of course you're always going to have some boss hens that'll eat half the corn [​IMG], but going out and being aware of the flock's weight (picking somebody up, seeing if she's fat) is the best indicator of of how much or how little to give them.
    Good luck! All those gorgeous chicken colors must be SO pretty together!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by