Feeding the chickens pumpkins??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by funonahonda, Nov 27, 2008.

1. funonahonda

funonahonda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Can you feed chickens pumpkins? We have one that is kinda soft, but don't know

2. MariposaMama

MariposaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Mariposa, CA
    As long as it isn't moldy, it should be fine. I bought a few of the mini ones for my crowd and they loved them. I just cut them into a few pieces so they could get to the guts more easily. Not a scrap to be seen by the time they were done. [​IMG]

3. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Mine love pumpkin and it makes the yolks nicer.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Like a number of people here, I scored a buncha unsold Halloween pumpkins on Nov 1 for free [​IMG] and give the chickens a little slice every coupla boring days. Good outlet for pecking [​IMG] and they seem to like it as food too.

As with anything, I wouldn't feed them too much of it on an ongoing basis b/c it may throw their nutrition off, but as long as it is part of variety (and sufficient protein is happening) it's a great treat.

Specially if you don't have to pay for it [​IMG]

Pat

5. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Mine love it. I even gave them some left over canned pumpkin in their oatmeal this morning. It was plain pumpkin, not pie filling. That disappeared in a flash!

6. arabookworm

arabookworm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    awesome
    would squash count too?
    we always have a squash or 2 that we dont know what to do with [​IMG]

7. I happened to hit walmarts just as they were marking the pumpkins to 50cents each and I bought 8, the cashier looked at them and asked me if I was gonna make a lot of pumpkin pies for the holidays, I told her no why should i clean and cook raw pumpkin for pies when I could buy a can already for the pies, the fresh pumpkin were for my chickens. Now they get one a week on monday, they love them marrie

8. nightshade

nightshade Chillin' With My Peeps

lol and you got that look like" you are crazy lady" didn't you? Been there seen that a lot. I got two car loads for 30 bucks off a local farmer been feeding them to my goats and my birds (chickens ducks turkey, peacock the list goes on and on) since October.They were pick out the cannery did not want but they were to small for fokes to want to carve too,Like soccer ball size. They just love them. Just feed them in moderation. A few is plenty at a time if you have a lot of birds. If you a just a couple one a week. Make sure there is a couple days between the time they finished the last one and you give them a new one.
    BJ

9. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

its a natural dewormer [​IMG]

10. Tamidon

Tamidon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Quote:By nicer do you mean they're more orange? Case i like a darker yolk

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by