Feeding the flock eggs?

7L Farm

Songster
9 Years
Jul 22, 2010
Anderson, Texas
I now have coturnix eggs & don't have a market yet to sell them. I've been boiling them & feeding them to my chickens. How often should I do this ? Also,can I feed them back to the coturnix?

Sure, as long as they do not know it is egg they are eating, you should not have any problems. The only concern people usually have is that they will get a taste for egg and eat their own but if you cook the eggs, they will have no idea. Some people think it is wrong to feed them their own eggs but it is healthy and fine for them so as long as you don't feel weird about it, go for it.

Let's face it. The egg is meant for chickens to eat, right, that is how the chicks survive. So I would not agree that feeding eggs to them is wrong but yes Bellevueomlet is right, some people do think it's wrong. I for one would be very careful that you don't create egg eaters though. I had a couple egg eaters, thankfully I was able to stop it. I want the eggs for me.........

Oh, forgot to add that I don't know how how often or anything as I do not feed them eggs. I only have 5 girls and those eggs are mine
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Agreed. I feed alot of my bantam eggs back to the girls. Been doing it for more than three years now without a single problem.

I blend all my cracked eggs in a blender and scramble them shell and all for my flock.I can't see wasting good food! I do this like 2 x a week. They love it....just be sure it's cool enough when you feed it to them.I don't think they know enough to not eat it when it's hot!

Quote:
Couple times a week wouldn't hurt them, it's good protein.

Thanks. I've been feeding it to them a few days in a row but I'll take your advice. Should I feed it to my pullets & coturnix as well. I also have 70 three week old Bob Whites. I wish my chickens layed like my coturnix.

Quote:
Couple times a week wouldn't hurt them, it's good protein.

Thanks. I've been feeding it to them a few days in a row but I'll take your advice. Should I feed it to my pullets & coturnix as well. I also have 70 three week old Bob Whites. I wish my chickens layed like my coturnix.

Again, it's the food that nourishes chicks before hatch. Yeah, I'd let everybody have some.

I dont like duck eggs and nor does my family and I have plenty hatched for my duck meat so I throw the chickens and ducks the duck's eggs everyday...............

Back
Top Bottom