Feeding the hens their egg shells

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ssdyle, Jan 4, 2011.

1. ssdyle

ssdyle Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2010
    mapleton utah
    DW wants to feed the hens back their shells, fixing it in with their weekly treats,Is this a good idea or will it somehow promote egg canibalism?
    sonny

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

It won't promote egg eating, but to be extra sure I dry them out (bake them) and smash them so they look nothing like eggs.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

+1, dried out, smashed to bits. Oven speeds process.

4. greenriver

greenriver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Wilmington, Il
    I used to boil extra eggs and feed them back to my barred rocks. Never had an fresh egg eating problem.

5. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

6. HenPecked_bychildren

HenPecked_bychildren Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    SW Florida
    We have a "shell" bowl on the counter. When it gets full the kids bring it out to the coop and dump the whole thing and smash them into the ground.

7. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    When I have cracked eggs, or just a few too many, I scramble them, including the shells (broken up very fine of course) and give it to the chickens. They love it!

8. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    After a friend suggested this we tried it...we took the entire raw egg (about 10 of them) and blended them in the blender, then cooked (scrambled) them. Some of the shell settles at the bottom of the blender, but the process worked just fine!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  9. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    I have a pitcher on the counter and have a potato masher in it.....every few days I 'mash' the egg shells. I don't bake them. I just let them dry out good and then mash and deliver. I do sometimes mix them with oyster shell.

10. myfivegirls

myfivegirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Delhi, NY
    We air dry the eggshells for several days or until they look really dry. Then, I crush them up inside a container (old oatmeal canister), and once the container is full, I put them in the food processor to grind them up fine. Then, I mix them up with the oyster shells.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by