Feeding the hens their egg shells

ssdyle

Chirping
13 Years
Jul 18, 2010
mapleton utah
DW wants to feed the hens back their shells, fixing it in with their weekly treats,Is this a good idea or will it somehow promote egg canibalism?
sonny

When I have cracked eggs, or just a few too many, I scramble them, including the shells (broken up very fine of course) and give it to the chickens. They love it!

After a friend suggested this we tried it...we took the entire raw egg (about 10 of them) and blended them in the blender, then cooked (scrambled) them. Some of the shell settles at the bottom of the blender, but the process worked just fine!

Last edited:
I have a pitcher on the counter and have a potato masher in it.....every few days I 'mash' the egg shells. I don't bake them. I just let them dry out good and then mash and deliver. I do sometimes mix them with oyster shell.

We air dry the eggshells for several days or until they look really dry. Then, I crush them up inside a container (old oatmeal canister), and once the container is full, I put them in the food processor to grind them up fine. Then, I mix them up with the oyster shells.

Back
Top Bottom