1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeding the little guys

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CrazyPetunias, Mar 1, 2013.

1. CrazyPetunias

CrazyPetunias Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2013
    Michigan
    Hi All,

These forums are really great! This year we are trying our luck at starting chickens again (been 6 years since our last try). I got 6 babies yesterday from TSC. Got them setup in an old dryer drum with a heat lamp. They seem happy and are settling in good.

I have 3 kids all trying to feed the chicks at the same time and fighting over who gets to feed them next. They have already feed them 5xs just since yesterday. I have chick feed and scrambled eggs that we have started them on. Every time someone checks on them its "feeding time".

I don't want to get the chicks sick from too much food. Is it possible to overfeed baby chicks?

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Chicks should have access to food 24 hours a day. They only need the starter crumbles for a balanced diet. I don't feed treats until 3 or 4 weeks old.

3. CrazyPetunias

CrazyPetunias Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2013
    Michigan
    Thanks egghead jr.

For about the 1st day, the chicks wouldn't go near their food dish and just kept scratching the bedding for something to peck. So, the kids were just throwing the food on the floor with the wood shavings. The chicks finally found that there was good food in the dish and are eating there now. I told the kids to fill only the food dish too.

1st problem solved ( yay!) [​IMG]

On to the next one...hope its an easy one too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by