Feeding the Runners

Jammie

In the Brooder
Mar 3, 2016
Good day all - I was hoping for some feedback...

I have 6 runners - 2 are 9 weeks and 4 are 7 weeks old. They have been outside in their pen for a little over 2 weeks.

It's been a week since I started putting them up at night with no food or water - I plan on putting water in when summer arrives since our temps stay in the 90's even at night. They are put up at sunset and out right before sunrise...approx. 12 hours.

Here's our routine so far...in the morning I feed them on rotation approx. a cup of - brussels sprouts, peas, green beans, broccoli in a large dog dish with water. (I tried banana, strawberries and cilantro, they didn't like it) Most of the greens come from my garden, if not I'll grab frozen - never canned.

I keep crumbles available to them all day, along with fresh water. (I plan on switching to laying pellets after they consume this bag.) They also are able to forge - I put dead leaves from the oak trees in the pen (13 x 28), that they love digging around.

In the afternoon I like to sit in the pen and feed them mealworms from my hand...they let me pet them and it gives me the opportunity to do a visual check of their feet, bills etc.

They have access to swimming all day. They seem very happy and healthy, as am I...so my question to you is...

Am I feeding them too much? They don't have angel wings, their legs are sturdy, plenty of poop...I just want to make sure I'm not creating a problem or leading up to something...I know I'm probably being dramatic...but I've spent so much time on these poop machines and have grown to love them. Or maybe I'm just looking for validation that what I'm doing is good for the ducks, because it sure is making me happy!

Thanks for your feedback. Jammie

Last edited:
I would not personally suggest switching to layer feed. Drakes and non laying ducks do not need that much calcium in their diets especially at their age. Would it be possible to switch to an all poultry feed like Flock Raiser and offer oyster shells when your ducks do start laying?

I have no drakes, but you make a good point...so I shouldn't feed them layer until they actually start producing eggs?

Yes that is what I would personally suggest for the ideal health of the birds.

Back
Top Bottom