feeding their own eggs ?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chicken moma, Jan 17, 2015.

1. chicken moma

chicken moma Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2015
    Hawaii
    The feral chickens have started to lay eggs on my stoop. I say feral but they are the same ones born here last year so I do know who is doing it. There are 3 laying, (and taking turns in the box), they sit for a while, announce the egg and then leave. I thought they would hatch some chicks so have left the eggs there. I started marking the eggs and removing the new. (I now have about a dozen in the fridge) there are 9 in the box but no hen is sitting on them consistently and they are left over night in the chill. Am I correct these eggs unattended will not hatch? If I remove some older marked eggs from the box what do I do with them? They have been there for over a week, I will not eat them but can I cook them and feed back to the chickens? that seems soo wrong hahaha I don't want to crack open a chick.
    I am trying to get accustomed to eating the free range eggs, (my family wont eat them if I tell them where they came from it's a learning process.) the shells are much tougher than store bought and the eggs deeper in color,so I have not just fried the eggs yet but used them in things and everyone eats. I will tell them later hahaha. but I have 9 eggs on my stoop! even the Roos check on them? so I want to continue to encourage them to lay where I can find them and not around the house but 9 is too many and i'm not sure what to do with them? any suggestions ?

2. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

They will not hatch until someone sets on them. No one might. I would eat them. If you want to encourage someone to brood, let them lay a dozen eggs in there. After the, take the oldest one after a new one is laid every day and eat it or whatever. Always have twelve eggs in the nest, they will not be the same ones. Mark them somehow so you know which the new one is so you can get rid of the oldest. There is no guarantee someone will brood, but it might make someone want to.

3. chicken moma

Jan 11, 2015
    Hawaii
    thanks for your response, I don't mean to be funny but. . . chickens count?

I have noticed today, so far, 2 hens are picking up leaves and garden bits, throwing them over their backs ( to see what sticks?) first time I have seen them do this.
    Several years ago I had lovebirds one would rip paper and tuck it into her feathers she looked a little like a scarecrow, I think she was nesting? could this be what the hens are doing?

oh! and now there are 10 eggs!
    as long as they don't float are they still good to eat? I know store bought are older by the time we get them but this is still a new experience for me.
    I feel so inadequate hahaha.

4. Free Feather

Do you have any pets, like dogs, cats, pigs, etc. to give the eggs to? And yes, throwing around straw means they are nesting. My hens that did it the most as pullets went broody early on.
    Ever heard the term "Chicken Math"? They cannot count. It means... say you have ten students on a field trip. One falls out of the bus, another is eaten by a lion, but you pick up a kid on the way, you still have around ten.

5. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    [​IMG]

6. SixChickFlock

SixChickFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2014
    Chicago - Old Irving Park
    I would collect them every day and eat them. I can't imagine any harm would come to you, except you may never want a store bought egg again!.

Wish I had a bunch of hens laying extra eggs on my stoop.

Enjoy!!!

... Marking them with a date in pencil is a good idea. I like knowing that my old eggs are potentially fresh than those at the store.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  7. chicken moma

Jan 11, 2015
    Hawaii
    Hahaha If I lost a child on a field trip i'm thinking lawsuit not omelets. ;D
    btw what was the lion doing on the bus? and does it want some eggs?

8. Free Feather

They were going to the zoo.

9. chicken moma

Jan 11, 2015
    Hawaii
    if you have 10 students and one student eats another, there are still 10 students? the lesson here: when you plan a road trip, pack snacks.

am I getting this chicken math right?

10. Free Feather

Sounds about right. Also used as an excuse to get a ton of birds. "I only have, like, a dozen."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by