Feeding time in the snake pit !!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Struttn1, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Struttn1

Struttn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    It is feeding time. Smoke is my son's 2 year old male corn snake (the dark one), Katrina is the 3 year old female blizzard corn (white), and the orange one is Striker who is a 5 year old male albino corn.

[​IMG]

Here is Smoke finishing off his mouse.

[​IMG]

2. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Ohhhhhh.....they are all lovely but I think I am in love with Katrina!!!! [​IMG]

3. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    I want a pet snake.. But i dont think I could feed the live mice.. that would freak me out..lol

4. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Quote:You can feed frozen. Just make sure they are room temp before feeding. I may get another boa down the road but right now I will stick to my leo gecko and scorpions.

5. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Quote:My poor snake would freak out if I fed her a live mouse!!!! [​IMG] Frozen thawed all the way. [​IMG] Warm them in a cup of water and dinner is served.

6. Struttn1

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    Oh yeah frozen is the only way to go. we buy our frozen mice from Big Cheese Rodents. Much cheaper in bulk. buying them at a pet shop will bankrupt you in a hurry.

7. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I wouldnt mind having a corn snake or two, but it will have to wait, my poor rats would have a fit!

8. Struttn1

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    Striker luvs rats but they are much too expensive so he has to stick with adult or x-large mice. [​IMG]

9. Struttn1

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    Corn snakes make great pets. They are very mellow and do not bite unless they mistake your hand for a mouse. [​IMG]

Here is my youngest grandson hanging out with Striker on a recent visit to Paw Paw's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Jestre

Jestre Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2008
    Garner, NC
    Great pics! Love corns... they are almost as gently as the balls.

And definitely feed frozen, thawed, or at least pre-killed if you can. We raise rats for our flock of slitherins, and all but the hots eat f/t rats.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by