Feeding time

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cdavis76, Sep 22, 2012.

1. cdavis76

cdavis76 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2010
    Does it matter whether they are feed in the mornings or afternoons as far as concerning egglaying? I have several of age but not seeing any eggs yet i have taken care of the mite problem i had and it has been 4 weeks since then and still no eggs but I feed around the 5 pm time range and thought maybe that might have something to do with it.

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I leave feed available for them at all times and that way they don't need to worry about it. I've found they are still very good at foraging as they crave the greenery they don't get in the commercial feed.

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Do they free range or have other sources on food? I have feed available 24/7. If I were to measure feed them I would split it into to feedings. If I had to do only one feeding it would be in the morning. If they are hungry during the day who knows what they may decide to eat.

4. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    I give my hens one scoop in the morning in their food dish and let them eat it whenever they want. I get quite a few eggs too. Also try giving them scratch or a treat about 3 times a week.

5. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    i keep feed available 24/7. they forage all day too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by