Feeding time.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ajones, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Ajones

Ajones Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2012
    Williamsburg,ky
    When is the best time to feed my chickens? I've been feeding in the evening around 7oclock. They stopped laying about 10 days ago. Was just wondering if this would have any effect. I broke my ankle and haven't been able to feed in morning. I have 1white leghorn and 2 rir. They are about 9 months old. Just wondering if not eating during the day would make them stop Laying. THANKS for any help, new to this..

2. AZCowboy

AZCowboy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2012
    There is no feeding time. They need and should get food and water all day. That's whats prob causing no eggs :)

3. Ajones

Apr 24, 2012
    Williamsburg,ky
    I kinda figured that. I was filling up ther feeders in the morn and it was lasting all day, but since I broke my ankle I have been waiting until I get home from work.THANK YOU..

4. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    I agree...most chickens won't overeat, so it's good to make food available to them all the time, and water as well. The only exception is after dark as they can't see then and will just sleep.

"Dark" may also be affecting production. They need about 16 hours of light a day for optimum. Our production fell dramatically since the shorter days set in. We did add light to the coop, on a timer so it comes on before sunrise, then they're out till dusk and it's helped bring production back some...but ours have also started to molt so that has also reduced the number of eggs.

5. AZCowboy

AZCowboy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2012
    Your welcome if you have any other questions I'm here!!! :)

6. Ajones

Apr 24, 2012
    Williamsburg,ky
    Thanks, ill change my feeding habits and se if that helps.

7. Ajones

Apr 24, 2012
    Williamsburg,ky
    Well went out this morn to feed and the run is full of white feathers from my leghorn, maybe their molting. The two RIR's aren't loosing any feathers yet their the same age they have stopped laying too. Going back to feeding them in the morning ....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by