Feeding times?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Vickers58, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Vickers58

Vickers58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2013
    Dallas, tx
    So I currently have two 1.5 month old ducks in a brooder.... In my dining room.... I know, I know.... Ridiculous.

My question is if people here choose to offer food at all times or have a feeding schedule? They will have water available at all times, but should I start a feeding schedule? Our two guys outdoors have food available at all times and in the summer it can create quite a hot, wet, and stinky puddle.

Advice?

2. mommakurk

mommakurk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2014
    California
    I wanna know too :))

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Nope, no scheduled feed times.. i keep it there all the time.. some overnight i do pull as water access is difficult but otherwise, again.. feeders filled, i usually top up each morning.

4. muscovy joe

muscovy joe Out Of The Brooder

I keep it there all the time too. In the summer they free range so they don't eat so much feed which is a plus.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I have read that at 8 to 10 weeks old, it's okay to pull the feeder for 8 hours. Storey's Guide writes about having feeding times, but I am another one who has water and food 24/7 for the ducks. For a few of them, my rescues, since they have known hunger and abandonment, I don't like to stress them. Yes, I err on the side of caution. For the little bit of effort, it's worth it to have one source of stress removed from the flock.

On a practical note, less stress, more eggs, better health.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by