Feeding tiny show/breeding Banties, calling experts!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by gabbyscritters, Jul 18, 2011.

1. gabbyscritters

gabbyscritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    fredonia, wi
    My junior daughter has banties for pets, shows and does some breeding. Her flock is about 25 birds not including various youngsters. Most of her birds are very tiny banties, she has Dutch, Pyncheons and Ameraucans plus a few oddball pet banties. So egg production year round is not huge, even though they do make very nice tiny eggs. I don't know if we are really feeding them the best, would like to feed her birds to keep them in top condition and have a good chance of producing healthy chicks.

Her birds are kept in good size pens and have runs but not much grass except for grass and clover she brings them as treats.
    We do have cold winters, the coops are insulated and ventilated and the Dutch and Pyncheons coop is heated just above freezing.

We have used 2 feeds, depending upon which feedmill I can get to.
    In the past we had barnyard mutt banties and we just picked up a bag of feed at the mill and did not think too much about it. Now with showing and breeding it is time to get more educated, the more I read the more confused I get. Also, so much is aimed at production large breed chickens, the majority of our chickens weigh about 1 pound.

#1 - Egg Layer Mash (ground at local small feed mill)
    The girls love it, not sure it is so good for them however. The corn is not finally ground and they love to pick out all the corn they can find, they do eat a fair amount of the mash powder but when they get to the bottom they turn up their beak at the fine leftovers.
    Ingredients:
    17% protein, lysine .80%, methionnine .40%, crude fat 3%, crude fiber 5%, calcium .9% to 1.1%, phosphorous .7%, salt .35% to .45%, selenium .1ppm, zinc 150ppm
    First ingredient listed- corn,dehulled soybean meal, porcine meat and bone meal, dehydrated alfafa meal, wheat (something?), deflourinated phosphate, calcuim carbonate, salt, dimethione, vit A, D-activated animal steroid (source of vit D3), vit E, niacin, B+ sulfite complex (source of viut K), calcium panthothenate, vit B12, folic acid, choline chloride, ribiflavin, zinc oxide, maganous oxide, ferrous sulfate, copper sulfate, sodium selenite, ethyenediamine dehydrodide.

#2 - Egg layer Crumbles (Home Grown brand)
    18% protein, crude protein 18 %, lysine.85%, methionine .32%, crude fat 2.5%, crude fiber 5.5%, calcium 3.7% to 4.7%, phosphorous 4.7%, salt .1% to .6%
    First ungredient listed- grain products, processed grain by-products, plant protein products, calcium carbonate, animal protein products, salt, L-Lysine, methionine, Vit E, riboflavin, menadione dimethylphrimindol bisulfate, iron oxide, zinc oxide, vit B12, vit A, Vit D3, niacin, vit B12, vit A, pridoxide hydrochloride, copper sulfate, ethylenediaminum panthothenate, folic acid, thiamine, copper sulfate, maganous oxide, sodium aluminate, sodium selenite.
    Ruminant meat and bonemeal free

Ok, that was alot of fine print to read!
    I do see that the mash has bonemeal?

What are your thoughts and recomendations.
    We have several feedmills locally so I do not have a problem hunting down a good quality feed. I would like to be able to make her birds shine with good health!

2. gabbyscritters

gabbyscritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    fredonia, wi
    I did forget, her chicks get a medicated feed and youngsters get grower. It is usually the Home Grown brand.

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by