FEEDING TIPS? (for me to save money) Thnx guys

Saved By Grace

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 14, 2014
HI GUYS, Does anyone have any tips on what to feed ducks apart from duck pellets? I still want to feed them duck pellets, but I would like to mix it with something to save money. Any genius tips?

From what I've been reading, they like greens. I have a garden, so to save money I'm growing my own lettuces, spinach, and kale for when I get my ducks. I read to put them in water. The ducks only eat them fresh and the water keeps them crispy. Then, I guess free-ranging is a great way to save on feed.

If you mean grass seed that you plant in lawn, I'd be hesitant to feed that to a duck. They are treated with chemicals, even organics. Maybe you meant something like wheat or oat grass seeds?

I feed my flock Purina Flock Raiser and mix it with whole oats and 7 way scratch grains. It helps alot. 70 to 80 % FR to 10-20 percent oats and 7 way. and then I buy all kinds of greens when they are on sale, kale, Romaine, cabbage. collards. and be sure to keep out oyster shell for your egg layers.

If you mean grass seed that you plant in  lawn, I'd be hesitant to feed that to a duck.  They are treated with chemicals, even organics.  Maybe you meant something like wheat or oat grass seeds?

No see I live in mississippi so like in summer we get these green stalks with a V shape and it's seeds are green and my ducks love them, becuase u know their easy food and really nutritious so I call them grass seeds just becuase it from natural grass and stuff , I'll how u picture of them as soon as they come up

I couldn't agree more. My ducklings just love fresh spinach leaves, along with Romaine lettuce. I have read that iceberg is not so great, due to its low nutritional value. I suspect that red leaf lettuce would be a winner, too.

Back
Top Bottom