Feeding to get more eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by farmgirlie1031, Jun 12, 2008.

1. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    I know this crazy weather is affecting my hens laying. I saw somewhere there was something to feed them to try and get them to lay more eggs but now I can't find where I saw it? I am going to worm them ASAP just in case they might have worms. They do get layer crumbles, oyster shell, grit, and treats. I'm only getting 2 eggs out of 7 hens (year old hens) and that's about every other day. My BB Game is about a year old also and she was giving me an egg every day and now it's been 2 weeks. She does not appear to be egg bound. I gave them some olive oil soaked bread as a treat today. Anything else I can try? I think I read somewhere to put some apple cider vinager in the water.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  2. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    Is there any chance your girls are hiding eggs? Or in molt? That is not a lot of eggs for 7 one year old hens.

3. farmgirlie1031

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    They are in pens and I looked all over the pen for eggs. The only other thing I could think of was a snake stealing the eggs. Or just the insane weather changes.

A few of the group of 7 are in molt but not all of them are. I even put Poultry Guard on them in case it was mites instead of a molt.

4. farmgirlie1031

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    I guess it is just the crazy weather. I tried to google and all I kept finding was to feed them layer pellets. But I know I saw a magic feed formula somewhere before that would give you more eggs than you knew what to do with.

5. Poorfarmer

Poorfarmer Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2008
    Sherburne NY
    you thinking about the cyene pepper in corn meal solution i think. i saw it in the 200 eggs a year downloadable book.

6. farmgirlie1031

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    Quote:Thank You. Maybe that was it:)

7. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:OK , NOW you got me curious . Whats the formula for that . ?

8. Poorfarmer

Poorfarmer Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2008
    Sherburne NY
    i have seen it someplace looking 4 it was something like one pouch to 10# corn meal

9. farmgirlie1031

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    I'll start searching around for it also. It sounds like something i would like to try as long as it doesn't hurt the hens. I really want some eggs out of these gals.

10. bills

bills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    vancouver island
    Light hours and protein is important for layers. Make sure your giving them a high protein layer feed 16% plus, and not overdoing the low protein treats. I have no idea what the number of natural daylight hours are in your area at this time of the year, but if the weather has been overcast a lot, you probably need to supplement their light hours.

I have a light on a timer that comes on at 3.30 am. With the long days now here, I find that it gets dark at 9.30-9.45pm. so I don't have one on at evening. They should have 16 hours plus of light to stimulate them. If you keep them inside all day, you should have a light on in the house all day, with it turning off just before the natural daylight fades, so they can get to roost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by