Feeding To Much Laying Pellets

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by grandads, Dec 14, 2008.

1. grandads

grandads Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2008
    Would feeding to much laying pellets keep hens from laying? If so how much should I be giving to sixty laying hens. I know I'm not giving them to little. Thanks.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Feeding too much layer won't hurt them, feeding too little will stop egg laying though. Too much corn and "junk food" can also stop or slow it.

If they aren't hiding eggs, eating eggs, nothing is stealing eggs, and they aren't moulting... it's probably the season.

My 15-20 hens that free range all day will eat about 50-150 lbs a month depending on season, weather, and so on.

3. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    From what I understand the hens will eat what they need I give enough to last the whole day until I close them in for the night. They esp. need it in cold weather. Jean

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I keep layer pellets available in their coop 24/7. I give them a 2 qt. bowl of warm corn mash daily (for 18 chickens). For the last week or so I've added about a cup of black oil sunflower seeds to the mash to help the girls that are moulting. In addition, they free-range all day.
    They are laying just fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by