Feeding too much?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Mikee1948, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Mikee1948

Mikee1948 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    I generally keep chick grower feed in the outdoor trough and the indoor feeder. They eat it, but are very picky about it. WhenI toss an ear of corn into the run, they go nuts trying to get to it, devouring it in an hour. They are seven weeks old. Too much food available?

2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Yep!

3. nwfl

nwfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Northwest Florida
    I've never had a picky eater. The fresh ear sounds yummy. How many birds? My young birds eat plenty of feed. I usually mince up something green (grass, weed, herb, leaf, lettuces) every couple days or more often and toss a small handful per 7 birds. Or even small pieces of apple, or whatever fruit is ripe on my trees.

4. Mikee1948

Mikee1948 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    Just five birds. I had squash, watermelon, and tomatoes in the run. They all turned their noses up at those. But corn on the cob, they drag the cob around with them to keep it away from the others. Bugs they like too. Wonder if there's any danger to over feeding?

5. jtr

jtr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    no tomatoes i think they are toxic plants friut and all of it im pretty sure

6. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    My chickens eat all the tomatoes I can throw them & I have done this for 18 years, no problem. Chickens can eat tomatoes.

7. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    Mine LOVE tomatoes. And if it slows their egg laying I would hate to see what would happen if I quit feeding them tomatoes!

8. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    Mine also LOVE tomatoes, and zucchini, lettuce, yellow squash and devour watermelon! I don't give them too much fresh corn, not much value in it.

9. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    It is the tomato plant that is toxic to chickens and not the fruit.....

10. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:X2.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by