1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeding Treats to chicks.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chick - n - Rachel, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Chick - n - Rachel

Chick - n - Rachel Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    Bradenton, FL
    Hi there everyone![​IMG]
    This is my first post to BYC, I've been a reader at BYC for over a year, but now that I have my babies, five adorable week olds, I thought I'd better "join the club'! Ive already lernt so much from you all, you make up the best info site out there!
    I'm feeding my girls a 20% chick feeder but would like to give them some chopped up grapes, prehaps some cottage cheese, or any other treats you could sudgest, but I'm not sure if I have to have some grit in with them for there crops to "chew it all up". If I do, do farm stores sell small enough grit or should I just stick to the grower feed? Thankyou so much in advance! Sooo excited to be finally a chicken mom!![​IMG]:

Priviliged to have: 1 Black Australorp, 1 Easter Egger, 1 Red Star, 1 Black Star, and 1 Silver Laced Wyandotte!!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  2. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    Tractor supply sells Chick grit-- its coarse red sand (actually finely crushed and sifted granite)
    Like $5 a bag and used like salting their food- so goes a long way!

3. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

At 5 weeks you should be ok with a very small amout of treats. I can not find small grit around here so I just went to WalMart and got grit for cockatiels. Just make sure it does not have calcium in it.

4. Chick - n - Rachel

Mar 31, 2009
    Bradenton, FL
    Wow, thanks for replying so soon! I have a Tractor Supply close so Ill get some tommorow, there only one and a half weeks old , there not too young for treats? Thanks.

5. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Oops I read your post wrong. I thought that where 5 weeks old. I would wait to give them treats till they are at least 5 weeks old.

6. Chick - n - Rachel

Mar 31, 2009
    Bradenton, FL
    :jumpyOk, Ill wait till there older, there doing so well I dont want to rush anything, thanks so much for your advise! Who knew they could be so darn adorable!!![​IMG]

7. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    just curious why you should wait until they are 5 weeks old? the treats have nutritional value, so why not? I am only asking this because I have little 2weekers here, and curious about treats myself. thanks

8. duckidaho

duckidaho Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2009
    We aren't experts but we started giving a very, very small number of treats at 2 weeks. Something like 98% chick feed, and 2% lettuce treats. And a little chick grit. We've had no problems and they seem to think it's fun.

9. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I was really careful with my first round of chicks. They only got crumbles and for the first week or so I even made a mash with crumbles and warm water. No treats for the first couple of weeks and all that. Then I had a broody hatch out four chicks. From day three (their first day back in the run) she pointed out yummy food in the run. They were eating treats from early in the game. Interesting, eh? She led them to all sorts of foods I thought were too advanced. She also taught them to eat the layer pellets. They would eat a little of everything.
    All of that to say that treats should be used in moderation, but I think maybe it's not a firm rule to avoid treats until they are 5 weeks old. I've been putting a spoonful of crumbled covered yogurt in the brooder for several days now and the chicks LOVE it! I limit it to once ever other day, but it's a great tool to teach them that I am the Bringer of All Good Things and not the Big Scary Hand From Above.

The mama hens are a lot tougher with their babies than I am with babies in teh house. It was fascinating watching them mother the babies.

Good luck with your wee ones.
    [​IMG]

10. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    we have given them crickets, about 5 for them all to tear up and run around with and share (yeah right) but they all seem to get a little piece (well the ones that pay attention do). I think if it has somewhat a nutritional value than to me, it wouldn't hurt. they seem to be doing great, and when I come near the brooder, they flock to the side I am on looking up at me, waiting to see what I bring them. plus chicken rugby with a cricket is too fun to watch![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by