1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

feeding treats to chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 1keegan, Feb 8, 2012.

1. 1keegan

1keegan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2012
    We have 5 six day old chicks in a brooder. They're eating their medicated chick feed, and drinking well.
    We offered them yogurt, which they ignored- until I sprinkled it with a bit of ground oatmeal. They gobbled it up.
    We used to give our older chickens treats of bread, veggie peels, etc.
    But I'm not sure at what age they can handle such treats.

At what age do you start giving your chicks other food- and what do you give them?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The thing with treats, especially with very young chicks like yours, is to give them a small quantity, certainly less than 10% of what they eat. Treats can unbalance their nutritional intake very easily. I don't think it matters that much when you start, if they can manage the size and consistency. Young chicks will often respond to a bit of chick feed in you palm as if it were a treat, if you are wanting to tame them. You can always add a bit of something to the feed in your palm to entice them.

Here is the BYC treats chart:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-treat-chart-the-best-treats-for-backyard-chickens

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I started giving my newest batch of chicks treats the day after I received them (I think they were 3-4 days old). But I try to stick to soft, bland foods like boiled/scrambled eggs, bananas, yogurt and a little warm oatmeal. I also mix their treat with a good amount of their chick starter, so they still get the starter and not just a treat. At almost 2 weeks old, I've given them a seed cake and some grit, which they LOVE!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by