Feeding tubes not working out like I thought.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sprede, Feb 7, 2019.

1. sprede

sprede Chirping

Oct 5, 2018
    Layton Utah
    Hey there everyone,
    So I did a bunch of research online looking at different methods of feeding my hens. Looked at the regular circular type bucket things to feeding tubes which is what I ended up making. I was pretty proud of myself till I put them out for use and saw a giant mess on the ground. What the heck!! So the one I saw doing it the most was my Delaware but I think the other may have had a part in it as well. What she was doing was sticking her head in there then scooping it out to the ground. Then she and the others would proceed to eat it off the ground. Went through an entire tube in one darn day dammit!

So I am thinking since she is the "Alpha" (if there is such a word for hens lol), was she just doing that so that all the others could get at it since there was only one access point?

I was also thinking to hack the Y portion off and then use a elbow joint to shoot it out the side like this guy did LINK. What are your thoughts on that?

What I really want is something that will stay dry and less waste from the hens dumping it all over the place. Here are some pictures.

IMG_20190207_165601792.jpg IMG_20190207_173555202.jpg

2. ButtonquailGirl14

ButtonquailGirl14 Crossing the Road

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    I know... Just HAVE to waste money:p

3. blackdog043

blackdog043 Crowing

Feb 19, 2017
    Charlotte, NC
    Alaskan, Ol Grey Mare and sprede like this.
  4. sprede

sprede Chirping

Oct 5, 2018
    Layton Utah
    Love how you have that setup. I found this (LINK) while waiting for replies. Seems simple, cheap and seems logical for rainy or snowy states as it keeps moisture out of it. I have read a lot of the posts and haven't heard to many negatives to sway my thoughts at this point.

5. blackdog043

blackdog043 Crowing

Feb 19, 2017
    Charlotte, NC
  6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yes, I tried the trigger feeder, with a 'deep dish' mod underneath.
    Found it too fussy in the long run.
    So went with this......it has stood the test of time.
    Detailed drawing in article, scroll way down.
    It is now hanging, pic was taken during testing.....I should take some new pics.
    [​IMG]

7. Abdalnassir

Abdalnassir In the Brooder

Feb 8, 2019
    Jordan
    Actually the problem is not with the tube itself! you need to make the tubes higher. i.e. the openings in the bottom should at the height of the chicken head in such a way the chickens will no longer be able to spell feed on the ground and as a bonus this will increase feed intake and improve gut health.

8. sprede

sprede Chirping

Oct 5, 2018
    Layton Utah
    I will give that a try see how it works.

9. Loveak9

Loveak9 In the Brooder

Sep 1, 2018
    South Central Wisconsin
    We started with the tube feeder similar to yours and that was a hot mess. It was a game how quickly they could empty it. I built a bucket feeder with the elbows in, similar to blackdog043 shows. This has worked great. I built ours out of a large clear dog food bulk bin. This way I can see when the food is getting low.

10. jreardon1918

jreardon1918 Songster

Jul 13, 2016
    Southeast, MA
    My Coop
    Give this simple feeder a try. No waste. Notice the ground.

Attached Files:

sprede and ButtonquailGirl14 like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: