feeding tuna scraps?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by hikechick, Aug 29, 2010.

1. hikechick

hikechick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2010
    We're canning tuna today and have a bunch red part of the tuna that we don't eat. Does anyone know if it's okay to give to chickens? Does it flavor their eggs? Thanks for any insights you can provide!

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Your chickens will LUUUUUV you !
    If you feed too much it can make the eggs taste a little off...
    but.. i've fed my chickens fish MANY times and never had that problem.
    Its a great extra protein treat for them!

3. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Do you cook it first? I bake the leftovers/trimmings from the tuna canning for the dogs. They'll be really mad if the chickens get their treats!

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I can that part seperate from the rest and use it for cat food. I've used it in the chicken E.R. too and they love it. I don't know, but I think that a steady diet of it may taint the eggs but as long as you're just using it as a treat or protien boost you won't have any problems with that. Good stuff, I'm jealous!

5. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Never thought about canning the 'dog' tuna. I always bake it, vac seal it and freeze it. Great idea to can it. And I'm opening up a frozen bag today so I'll share it with everyone. They're starting to molt, might be really good for them.

6. turbo13

turbo13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    COEUR D'ALENE IDAHO
    My Chickens Get Fish 3 / 4 Xs A Week.sardines,tuna,salmon.what Ever I Happen To Have.thesalmon They Eat Raw.They go Bonkers For Fish.i May Cut Down When They Start Laying,if The Eggs Taste Off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by