1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeding turkey poults

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by farmerlor, Mar 25, 2009.

1. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

I got a different kind of turkey starter this time and I have a bad feeling about it. It's Nutrena meat bird starter-28% protein. Babies are eating it okay but .....hey, maybe I'm just old and don't like to change but I need someone to tell me if this stuff is okay or if I should get something else or if I should add something to it. Also, I need to know when to introduce grit to them or if I should.

2. Harp Turkey Ranch

Harp Turkey Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    McCleary, WA
    28% to 30% is what you want for turkey starter/grower and finisher if you are growing heritage birds, if you are growing Broad Breasted then after 2 weeks switch to a lower 18-22% protien like you would broilers.

3. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Quote:We feed ours 28% game bird starter - I don't know if the meat bird starter has anything different other than the protien? We don't give ours any grit until they go outside.

Steve in NC

4. farmerlor

Thanks! I guess we're good to go then.

5. farmerlor

Oh, now what? I've had three of my Bourbon babies die in the last 24 hours. They literally just drop dead. I went in and looked at them and they were all up and walking around alert and 30 minutes later one was dead. One died overnight and another one was looking a little weak this morning and died a few minutes later. What's happening? The one who died this morning seemed to have some labored breathing. I see no problems with their stools, they're eating okay and drinking water with electrolytes and molasses in it. Can't go anywhere because we're in a blizzard but can anyone tell me if I can do anything to save this last little baby?

6. Harp Turkey Ranch

Dec 18, 2008
    McCleary, WA
    Well turkey poults can be very temperament to to the heat. I always run my brooders with turkeys hotter then if they had chickens in them. Its hard to tell with turkeys. One minute they are alive next they are not.

7. sandspoultry

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Quote:The ones that died? did they weigh anything? Check the toes, did they look shrunken or withered? have you seen them eating? if so they may have starved out. What's with the molasses in the water? for the brooder temp let the birds tell you what the temp should be- if they are huddled under the light they are cold, throw the thermometer away in the brooder. How old where they?

For the last one try to get it to eat, hard boiled eggs-oatmeal-feed and milk mixed. that's all I can think of now.

Steve

8. Harp Turkey Ranch

Dec 18, 2008
    McCleary, WA
    What's with the molasses in the water?

Molasses is a great thing to have in a young poult or chick water for the first week of their life. Not only is a natural laxative for them to help prevent paste butt, but it also has sugar for energy and also it is high in calories. It gets them off to a good start.​

9. sandspoultry

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Quote:Molasses is a great thing to have in a young poult or chick water for the first week of their life. Not only is a natural laxative for them to help prevent paste butt, but it also has sugar for energy and also it is high in calories. It gets them off to a good start.

Pasty butt is caused by the stool being to soft and runny and sticking to the vent feathers, why would a laxative help?

10. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

First off, farmerlor, I am so sorry to hear of your turkey issues!But this is an interesting conversation, one that I definately need to pay attention to.
    Why is it that they are so fragile? You would think that chicks would be more fragile then poults!
    (Need to take notes)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by